Sunday, February 24

The election after 1957

Am I still eligible in this coming election? Can I go to vote even I'm walking with a stick?

That's the questions throw on me from my 80 plus granny right after I stepped into the house just now.

Without a second thought, I told her not to think so much on the election and rather stay at home during the polling day.

But, a few second after that, I was regret and hoping to draw back my answer.

This is not right. I should not stop my grandma to vote and if she is able to.

Back to that, I asked myself why I did not register as a voter.

I should have done it years back since I'm going into 25 August this year. Look at grandma, she couldn't walk or stand longer thn five minutes, yet she want to vote for the party.

That's not the only thought flash through my brain at this moment. I had event think of what kind of responsibility of the people in the 50s and 60s think about election... Also what made them so insist on giving vote to the party they loyal to.

In another way, what the people today think about election? As public announcement and advertisement had been promoting and emphasis on becoming a voter.

Besides, do the political parties candidates understand their role and who are they campaigning for? For the people? For the party? Or, for the wealth?

Good words have been putting on their mouth saying that they going to change this and that, developing here and there, or even lower the petrol and fuel price for the sake of the people.

How many of them are being faithful behind the words they were saying? How many of them will be keeping their promise? That would be answered to you in your heart.

Even me, a person working in the media industry can't even asnwer to that question. Many rumors and stories been passing to us and that's the reality and the politic.
(I could not put it as reality in politic. The fact that in reality, people think of themself before help the others. In politic, people choose the party that can ensure harmony for them, or people use the politic to do many 'other' things.)

And, all these leading to why many Malaysians refused to register or even vote in the election.

Well I'm not a politic analysis but I'm just shouting the voicec inside me. Also I wanted to study the voters mind in the 50s and 60s.

Are they influenced by Tunku Abdul Abdul Rahman or just the followers of the trend after the riot in 1969?

Finally I wonder what made my grandma insist to go to vote? She would probabaly start talking about how she is going to go during March 8. What time she must prepare herself and where should she put the 'X'.

So guys, we should start thinking of what we want rather than should we performe our responsibility as a Malaysian, I guess so.

No comments: